Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Interview with Steven Novak


What was your favorite scene to write in Forts: Fathers and Sons?
That’s actually a pretty tough question. There are moments that I like a lot because they’re so personal and I’m really close to them. There are also moments I really enjoy because something really cool happens and writing stuff that’s “cool” is, well – pretty cool.

It would be tough to nail down a single one, and it would be even tougher to do it without giving away any spoilers.

Stop trying to trick me into spoilers, Bethany.


What is your favorite book of all times, why?

It might sound a bit silly, but my absolute favorite book of all time is still, Harold and the Purple Crayon. Before I was even confident about the spelling of the word crayon, that book stuck with me. I have a copy here at the house and if I were to crack it open tomorrow I think it would affect me the exact same way it did so many years ago.

It’s an incredibly simple idea pulled off remarkably well, and that’s the sort of thing that lasts a lifetime.


If you weren’t an author/ illustrator, what would be a cool job to you?

Unfortunately I’m terribly unqualified to do anything else at all. Seriously, beyond the arts I really have no skills of which to speak.


I’m not all that personable. I’m terrible with money. I’m a bit of a lumbering oaf physically, and I’m not entirely sure I even know how to change a tire.



It’s sad, really. That being said, in a world where anything is possible and tire changing is as simple as digging into a pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving morning, I think it might be kind of cool to be an astronaut - or something - maybe. Of all the things a human being can do, blasting into space and floating around is beyond a doubt one of the most interesting.



When I was growing up all I wanted to do was write and direct movies.That would have been fun too.



I really like the characters within Forts: Fathers and Sons, how did you come up with all of them?



Thanks! I appreciate that. My main goal was to make sure the characters in book were more than your initial impressions of them. I wanted them to grow and change, and learn from the situations they found themselves in. I also wanted to make sure that the good guys weren’t always good and the bad guys weren’t always bad. I think it’s just more real. A lot of them are pulled from people I know today, or I knew growing up. I actually have a brother that’s two years younger than me, and his name is, Nick. I know it’s not exactly “new” advice, but I personally think that writers need to write what they know. The stories I’ve always been drawn to are the ones where you can really hear the author in the words. There are things in this book (and series) that I experienced first and hopefully that comes across.



What does every young writer need to know?

Write for yourself.


It really is as simple as that.
Write for yourself, write to have fun, and if you love doing it don’t let anything stop you.

If you’re writing simply because you think you’re going to become the next J.K. Rowling, and someone is going open up a theme park based on your characters, you’re in for an awfully rude awakening.


You’re more likely to make a decent living as a plumber.At the end of the day, when all is said and done, it’s important that you’re able to look at what you’ve created and be proud of it. If you can do that, none of the other nonsense really matters and if you can’t a theme park will never make up for it.


Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating a little bit. A theme park would be pretty sweet.

*********************************************************************************

Thanks for doing this interview, Steven Novak!


Don't forget to enter the giveaway for a signed copy of Forts: Fathers and Sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to ORAB. I love to hear from you!