Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Maze Runner by James Dashner


                                                                      Stars: 4


Summary from Goodreads:
  Imagine waking up one day in total darkness, unsure of where you are and unable to remember anything about yourself except your first name. You're in a bizarre place devoid of adults called the Glade. The Glade is an enclosed structure with a jail, a graveyard, a slaughterhouse, living quarters, and gardens. And no way out. Outside the Glade is the Maze, and every day some of the kids -- the Runners -- venture into the labyrinth, trying to map the ever-changing pattern of walls in an attempt to find an exit from this hellish place. So far, no one has figured it out. And not all of the Runners return from their daily exertions, victims of the maniacal Grievers, part animal, part mechanical killing machines.

Thomas is the newest arrival to the Glade in this Truman-meets-Lord of the Flies tale. A motley crew of half a dozen kids is all he has to guide him in this strange world. As soon as he arrives, unusual things begin to happen, and the others grow suspicious of him. Though the Maze seems somehow familiar to Thomas, he's unable to make sense of the place, despite his extraordinary abilities as a Runner. What is this place, and does Thomas hold the key to finding a way out?



Review:

This book reminded me kind of the T.V. show, Persons Unknown. If you haven't herd of it, check out the trailer. I promise! The show is WAY better (and less creepy) then the trailer suggests. If you have a chance to watch it, take it!  People are comparing it to Lost ( I've never watched Lost so I can't say of that's a good thing).

OMG THAT WAS OFF-TOPIC.

So... the Maze Runner. Thomas woke up in an unfamiliar place with no memory, except for his name. Interesting, right?
The reason I gave it four stars instead of five is because with Thomas trying to learn about the Glade the whole first half, the info dump was pretty annoying. Although I can't think of a better way to have done that. And at the time (before I got the second book) I thought the ending was kinda off-topic. Just like mentioning Persons Unknown, but more. I'm glad about the ending now because the second book was epic. If you can, I would defiantly recommend buying the two books at the same time to avoid throwing the first book into a wall.

I liked... the suspense. I stopped in the middle of a very suspenseful scene. That was all I could think of in school the next day. I was all like, "Who needs monomials?! (What IS a monomial anyway? That concept went in one ear and out the other = P) Not me! I need to FINISH THAT BOOK!"

1 comment:

  1. nice review. I hate when the first book in a series or whatnot is harder to get through...but it tends to happen. I'm glad the second was better.

    thanks for the LGBT titles on Let's Get Beyond Tolerance!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to ORAB. I love to hear from you!